[Wolves] Kubuntu Humble Pie

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu May 12 10:04:42 BST 2005

On Thursday 12 May 2005 09:42, Kevanf1 wrote:

> It may just be the usual changing /dev/modem to point to /dev/tts0
> It's got to the stage where I do that without thinking now :-)  But,
> that's using an external modem of course.  I'm willing to bet you have
> an internal modem....

Na, its a Hayes external, I tried all the choices from the drop down menu but
no luck.

I also noticed there is no option to add a type of Network Connection what I
mean is under Network Configuration you can usually add stuff like say a
modem, RHEL4's KPPP has the same problem you have so what I did was add a
modem connection in Network Configuration put the user name and password in
and use Network Device Control to fire up and shutdown the modem, works a
treat! but as I cant seem to do this dirty trick under Kubuntu I'm stuck at
the moment.

> I'm apparently not alone in not being able to get a connection through
> the modem.  It's been reported on the Kubuntu forum.  I'll try
> lowering the speed later on then there is another fix (which I cannot
> recall at the moment) to try if that fails.

In KPPP have you got something like Scripts? say (I think)
Expect ogin xxxxx (your login)
Expect passwd xxxx (your password)

I think thats where the problem lies I had the same issue with RH8/9 RHEL4
thats where I learnt my dirty trick from.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk