[Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Mon May 16 09:18:43 BST 2005

Andy Wootton wrote:
> I'm experimenting with Linux Terminal Server Project, using my Ubuntu
> laptop as a temporary server. I've installed several necessary services;
> nfs, dhcp, xdmcp etc. but when I attempt to install portmapper through
> synaptic or apt-get, they ask me to put the original Warty beta CD back
> in. I've included ever Ubuntu repository I know of and I don't have the
> CD any more. I've Googled but other people seem to have installed it
> THEN run into problems because portmapper only accepts 127.0.0.1
> connections by default.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going on and can I fix it? I can read but not
> write to the list from work so if anyone asks me anything I won't be
> able to reply until tonight.

Hi,

1) Ubuntu's portmap only listens on 127.0.0.1 by default for security
purposes (remember ubuntu aims to have no listening services by
default). You can tell if it's listening on 127.0.0.1 as "ps auxw" will
show a "portmap -i 127.0.0.1". (I suspect you edit /etc/default/portmap
to open it up, but can't remember for definite).

2) Check /etc/apt/sources.lst doesn't contain the CDROM entry. If it
does delete it or comment it out.

thanks
David.
--