[Wolves] Silly question maybe...

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Mon May 16 11:58:31 BST 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 11:22, Kevanf1 wrote:
> PSU's have fans in them. Ok, they are no doubt put there for a
> purpose.  But, has anybody ever run a PC with the PSU fan(s) broken or
> simply taken out?  How long before the PSU turns green and dies :-)
> Does it actually need those fans?  There is a reason to all this as I
> have an idea that I might try out.
You really, really don't want to run a PC with the Fan on the PSU broken or
disabled.  The PSU is the major heat generator in the system and running a PC
without adequate cooling can cause component instability and ultimately
permanently damage the electronics.

There are a new generation of 'fanless' PSU's on the market that as far as I
know replace the active fans with massive heatsinks.

But to re-iterate - you CAN do it, but it's not a good idea. My opinion
anyway.
--
Regards,

Pete Evans