[Wolves] Silly question maybe...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:39:03 BST 2005

On 5/16/05, Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 16 May 2005 11:22, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > PSU's have fans in them. Ok, they are no doubt put there for a
> > purpose.  But, has anybody ever run a PC with the PSU fan(s) broken or
> > simply taken out?
> You really, really don't want to run a PC with the Fan on the PSU broken or
> disabled.

Oh no, wouldn't even consider that :-)

The PSU is the major heat generator in the system and running a PC
> without adequate cooling can cause component instability and ultimately
> permanently damage the electronics.

Yep, I'm totally with you on that so far.

> There are a new generation of 'fanless' PSU's on the market that as far as I
> know replace the active fans with massive heatsinks.

Which are mega expensive....why???  Just to get more money out of
upgraders perhaps?

> But to re-iterate - you CAN do it, but it's not a good idea. My opinion
> anyway.

Hmmmm, ok.  I'll now go further.  What I want to do is remove the PSU
from a PC altogether.  In effect taking away the biggest heat source
as has already been pointed out.  Obviously the beast needs power.
So, my next thought was to take a PSU but remove the fans - I know,
it's dangerous to remove a PSU housing, no problem I'm quite aware of
the hidden hazards.  Then place this PSU into a separate housing with
a lead to the PC similar to a notebook PC.  Why do I want to do all
this?  To make a decent media server that doesn't hum and whine above
the very quiet passages of classical music I like to listen to.  It's
no problem if I happen to be playing some Hawkwind because it just
adds to the overall sound :-)  I know that there are 'quiet' options
available but they are not noiseless.  Why is it so difficult to
produce a noiseless PC when other household appliances often consume
far more power with zero noise?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer