[Wolves] Broadband recommendations

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:52:41 BST 2005

On 5/17/05, Deusiah <deusiah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really I'd be happy with BT's offer if they got round to upgrading my
> line to 2Mb/ps though I still think every UK ISP is horribly
> overpriced compared with what I have heard people are paying abroad.
>
> Chris

Good old rip off Britain strikes again :-)  I read about some Adobe
software (Windows stuff) the other day that is about the equivalent of
£200 in the US but over here is around £400 (not exact figures but
close).  Adobe were challenged on it and it all boiled down to them
not being bothered to change the price differential.  This was after a
lot of fudging about fluctuations in the exchange rate etc.  The guy
who wanted to buy the software told them to put it where the sun
doesn't shine...or words to that effect.  On a similar monetary theme,
a lot of my angling mates get gear from the States at around half our
shop prices.  Reels that cost in excess of £100 over here can be
bought for around £30 to £40 in the US.  Line is the same with some
stuff over here costing say £30 for 125yds (yes, you read that
correctly) while in the US it is something like the equivalent of
£5!!!!  Which even taking the current very favourable exchange rate is
still ridiculous.  Comparing US prices to actual buying power is a
better way of illustrating the differentials as it can be argued that
US prices would be half of ours with the aforementioned favourable
exchange rate.  Let's just say that the actual buying power of the
average US citizen is better than that of a British citizen regardless
of exchange rates.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer