[Wolves] Broadband recommendations

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Tue May 17 10:30:58 BST 2005

> shop prices.  Reels that cost in excess of £100 over here can be
> bought for around £30 to £40 in the US.  Line is the same with some
> stuff over here costing say £30 for 125yds (yes, you read that
> correctly) while in the US it is something like the equivalent of
> £5!!!!  Which even taking the current very favourable exchange rate is
> still ridiculous.  Comparing US prices to actual buying power is a
> better way of illustrating the differentials as it can be argued that
> US prices would be half of ours with the aforementioned favourable
> exchange rate.  Let's just say that the actual buying power of the
> average US citizen is better than that of a British citizen regardless
> of exchange rates.

Not knowing much about angling gear, but certainly some software tends
to be 'produced' in the US, and sold directly by the manufactuer. By the
time it gets over to the UK, a number of distributors and resellers will
have been involved, who all want their slice of the pie in exchange for
selling it. Hence what started as a 1 quid to 1.8 dollars exchange rate
heads towards 1:1.

I suspect this sort of thing happens to many items, as the US tends to
be the primary market for a lot of products, which are just resold
around the globe in smaller markets (UK, France.....)

I might of course be talking b*ll*cks - unfortunately I wasn't able to
do economics in school (which I would have really enjoyed doing)...

David.
--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.com