[Wolves] UbuntuPPC

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue May 17 12:07:43 BST 2005

> Yeah. On a kind of related theme, I'm thinking of
> doing a "Ron" and
> trying out Gentoo.... I think I'm bored with Ubuntu
> - there's just
> nothing to do to get it to work.
>
> David.

Well if thats how you feel you can always get my
ubuntu to work. UbuntuPPC doesn't support the
trackpads on the new powerbooks :-(

So yes I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu on my
nice shiney new 12" powerbook. The install mostly was
simple, the only tricksy bit being when it spent 10
minutes looking for apt repositories on the
non-existant network it was moments away from me
assuming it had crashed and restarting the install.

The major problem was the trackpad not working (this
appears to be a "known issue") so I plugged in my
mouse and a ps2/usb adaptor and it all worked.

Impressions: Its very brown isn't it. Quite pretty
though. Its obviously been well thought out with a
specific aim in mind and only those things required to

acheive that aim included.

One of the things OSX has always had over Linux is its
consistancy both of look and feel, and of
configuration and use, Ubuntu doesn't quite manage OSX
standards but its as near as any Linux distro I've
ever seen.

This is a two edged sword, on the one hand I've
recently begun to find the multiple toolkits,
configuration formats, and looknfeels of linux to be
more irritating then fun (and like Dave I used to find
getting things to work fun). On the other hand PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE can I have my min/maximise buttons on
the left PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSE. Oh and
WindowMaker, gnome is ok but WindowMaker is da bomb
(ahem sorry).

So in all Ubuntu, its nice but its not for me (the
trackpad is the real killer). Maybe when they
introduce GNUbuntu, the Ubuntu with added GNUStep I
will give it another go.

Untill then debian, Yellowdog? Yellowdog, debian?

Where there is choice there is misery, but where there
is misery there is learning.

chris