[Wolves] UbuntuPPC

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue May 17 13:22:44 BST 2005

> I can't really talk since I am running MacOS on my
> aged powerbook

I'm going for a triple boot OSX(Tiger)/Linux/darwin
system, I was going to have OpenBSD as well but I
partitioned the disk up wrong and I cant be bothered
reinstalling everything from scratch (OSX's disk
utility wipes the entire disk when you delete a
partition, relabel, change the partition type or
pretty much anything else)

> ubuntu's gnome setup is a very usable system.
>
> Cannonical have also hired a MacOS using usability
> expert to get things more consistant,

Ubuntu does seem a good system and I can see why
people round here rave about it but part of me mourns
for the passing of the days when asking what
windowmanager people used would lead to more
interesting answers then just gnome and kde.
Consistancy is great, its important for the acceptence
of Linux in businesses and as a profesional operating
system, it makes getting things done far easier and
attacks one of Microsofts main selling points, but its
also just a bit dull. The suits have taken over, the
revolution has become mainstream, and life is just not
as exciting as it used to be.

Or maybe I've just (finally) grown up.

chris

P.S. OSX Tiger is very nice, spotlight is far more
usefull then I thought it was going to be and
dashboard is a very cool toy. Not sure if its worth
£129 to upgrade from panther though.