[Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue May 17 16:38:03 BST 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 16:04, Steve Parkes wrote:

> It doesn't matter how they got them, they have them and there's always
> plenty of windows admin jobs to go around.  Show me a company with more
> than a handful of computers with no clueful administrator and I'll show
> you a company with the potential for a computer nightmare.

To an extent we've had this conversation before, in an ideal world everyone
should have a PDC and a BDC their own Mail Server and Degree level engineers
but in the real world its very different the vast majority don't want to pay
and thats the bottom line so they have crappy systems no formal cover and us
at the end of a phone.

Off the top of my head 200+ of our customers have no dedicated IT manager or
qualified sysadmin true they employ our services but then we cant be there
every day, all day.

I have a customer in Manchester they have 156 workstations with an NT Server
the so called IT Manager was working on the shop floor when the original IT
guy left, he went to the boss and said "I know about computers" next day he
gets total control, this individual causes more grief by messing about with
things than you can imagine.

I don't subscribe to the Microsoft bashing gang and on the whole the vast
majority of MSCE's have had to work hard to get that qualification.

Your a clever man, when you see adds on the TV from computeach "I was a bog
brush cleaner now I earn 50 Million a day as an IT support engineer" surely
you understand the veiled message?

Go down the job centre theres gazillions of IT courses.

But is there the jobs? I think not. What there is lots of is badly trained
poorly qualified and unsuited people working in or connected with IT as if
its some sort of holy grail.

I've had a bad morning training morons over in Birmingham how to use ACT v6

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk