[Wolves] Silly question maybe...

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Tue May 17 16:46:48 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On 5/17/05, Wayne Morris <wayne at machx.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Your biggest problem with a separate enclosure for PSU would be voltage
>>drop between the PSU and the computer,
>>you would need quite thick cables to provide the power without too much
>>loss in the cables.
>>More to the point, the PSU has a 5v detection circuit that shuts it down
>>if it doesn't detect 5V at the board via return wire,
>>a drop of .5v can be enough to trigger this AFAIK.
>>

>It would be a simple matter to extend the wiring to the motherboard
>and have it in an enclosed sheeth.  It would be a case of keeping the
>PSU near enough so that resistance didn't cause too much of a drop.  I
>wouldn't have thought the resistance would be that much in even say a
>foot of cable?

Ahh, I thought you were planning having the PSU in the next room!
Surely you will just be moving the noise one foot to the left?

Found this for resistance:

http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

which shows following drops at 12v and 10 amps

1 ft  - 0.5%
10ft  - 5%

based on the minimum cable diameter they offer (15A).

Not sure what PSU cable would be, guessing 15A or less so up those
figures a bit.

But even so, voltage drop insignificant at 1 foot.