Sparc64 was Re: [Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:56:33 BST 2005

--- Steve Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
> Adam Sweet wrote:

> >Are there any good choices for Sparc64 these days?
> I'd
> >like to run Debian but I'm reluctant to move if
> >they're thinking about pulling the port.
> >

> DEBIAN!
>
> I don't think debian are dropping any ports are
> they?

http://lwn.net/Articles/127515/

I do read Planet Debian but it's kinda hard to keep up
when it gets about 200 posts per week and Bloglines
stops getting new posts after around 200. Maybe I've
missed the conclusion of this issue, or missed the
point. It's still going to be released as Stable with
Sarge but will remain as is ie no new releases, only
security and minor updates, as far as I can gather.

> why would they drop the port when it is the best
> supported (in terms of
> developers) sparc distro out there?

To make the release cycle faster. To summarise the
above article, they're thinking of dropping Stable
releases after Sarge and Testing altogether for all
archs apart from i386, PPC, IA64 and AMD64 to speed up
the release cycle and stop sucking up all of the
developer effort on synchronising the whole archive
across minority archs. I can see the point with s/390,
HPPA Risc, maybe arm, m68k and mipsel and some others,
but I would still consider Sparc a popular
architecture.

Some stats were produced here:

As I said, maybe I missed the conclusion or the point,
I would love you to tell me I'm wrong as Debian would
be my choice.

I'm just waiting for Sarge as there doesn't seem much
point in downloading the Woody iso or a Sarge snapshot
with Sarge due at the end of the month.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk