[Wolves] Silly question maybe...

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Tue May 17 22:18:49 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>What I would like to do is take out the fans from a PSU.  Then move
>the PSU out of the PC box itself because of the heat.  I have an old
>PSU and I might just take out the fans and run it to see how long it
>lasts...

I think you will find that the PSU won't blow up spectacularly, it will
just turn off.
Switched Mode PSU are very popular because they (usually!)
1) Fail safe - they turn off the juice at the hint of a problem from the
load
2) Protect themselves from problems.

Basically, they have temeprature (as well as current and voltage)
sensors aboard, and you'll probably just find
it switches off as soon as it gets lukewarm. Then it will probably not
restart automatically.
Do you want the pc to die halway thru a disc write?

Hey, buy one of those 'mini beer fridges' and put it in that ;-)