[Wolves] Linux for idiots Was: Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed May 18 17:13:21 BST 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 15:58, Andy Wootton wrote:

> I think I've stretched that analogy to breaking point so I'll stop. I'm
> talking about thin clients and information services - probably supplied
> by educated sysadmis and geeks, yes. I have no idea how to fix my car
> when it breaks and I don't care. I'm not interested. I don't like
> getting dirty and I wouldn't be any good at it.
>
> * Would it be wrong of me to patent the expression "Thin-client Porche"?

You got a Porche then?

Actually I also agree with most of what you said (I've read Aq's mail) my main
concern is that Linux is trumpeted as Free, Open and come in our paddling
pool is better than that bastard gates's

Forgetting all the old chestnuts, for the minute, like "Ooh its more stable,
horrid gates wont let you pull it to bits, and so on. My view is you cant on
the one hand promote Linux as superior to Windows and then pull the draw
bridge up and like that hair product advert "Ooh its not for you its only for
professionals"

You probably didn't mean it to come across to me like it did but my knee jerk
reaction was "Here we go its that *only experts should use Linux*" syndrome
again. The last time I got in spat about this was when I first got into this
stuff over two years ago I still see it now on other lists guys who know
their stuff but wont part with the knowledge because they don't want everyone
stealing their thunder.

There are a hell of a lot of Linux bod's that see it as a sort of closed shop
and hate newbies as it means there is no longer a dark secret that only they
have the answer too.

Show me a newbie idiot and I'll show you another loss to Microsoft.

Any chance I can borrow the Porche? or Aq's Jag would be nice. :-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk