[Wolves] Linux for idiots Was: Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu May 19 10:53:20 BST 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 21:49, mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Peter Cannon wrote:
> >Show me a newbie idiot and I'll show you another loss to Microsoft.
>
> Some Linux distros' are more straight forward than any windows offering for
> the man in the street, now piles of driver cds for example.
> But it's not all that straight forward depending on hardware and distro
> support.
>
> I have got the bug and have loaded RH9,Fedora 1,2&3, Mandrake 7.1 onwards,
> Suse 8.2 onwards, Ubuntu Warty and Hoary hedgehog, Debian Woody and Sarge,
> slackware 10 as well as PClinuxOS and Mepis just recently.
> The results are mixed, a few support all hardware and fly out of the box,
> some do not, I particulaarly like Apt on Debian.
> But the inconsistencies are also within an individual distro's range, for
> example Mandrake 9.2 flies the 10 series will not allow internet access,
> on the same machine, and PClinuxOS works on one machine but not the other,
> whereas with Mepis gives the same result but opposite machines.
> So i don't think that linux is for idiots just yet.
> The fact that distros' are freely distributable means that you can find one
> that gives you what you want.
> Just for the record treating WindowsXP as a distro ie loading it and see
> what functionality my hardware has straight out of the box gives me just,
> a GUI with the ability to alter screen resolution, thats all.
> I think if you are a newbie to linux you should get your hands on as many
> distros as you can and then play to see which give you what you want.
>
> Mad Malc
>
> If of course if you want to pay £25 plus a month for an extended warranty
> on a PCWorld box containing obsolete parts it's up to you to accept the
> apellation of idiot

I will pardone your ignorance of me and my capabilities, just to put you
straight I'm the Sales Manager for an IT solutions provider supplying all
hardware and software, networking etc etc. We are also an independent ISP.

My first computer was a Commodore 64, I have dabbled with Linux on and off
over the years but seriously took it up two and half - three years ago

I have left your post in tact deliberately as I cant be arsed to answer every
paragraph.

My 13 year old daughters can use Mandrake without any problems and have used
Linux since they were 10yrs old, to me that demonstrates that anyone can use
Linux, anyone should be able to use Linux idiots and newbies included.

I'm not going to waste my time typing anymore but as a your a new member might
I suggest you give it a week or so to learn who and what members are.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk