[Wolves] Make Gnome Fast! [Was: What makes Gnome/KDE slow?]

Deusiah deusiah at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:11:47 BST 2005

OK I stupidly forgot to explain what you have to do sorry :P

Get a copy of XFCE 4.2 and log into it. Hit Alt+F2 and run these commands:

killall xfce4-panel
killall xftaskbar4
nautilus
gnome-panel
gnome-volume-manager
gnome-cups-icon

You should now have a system that looks identical to your gnome system
with the only difference being it's faster and has XFCE's window
manager.

To get at XFCE's settings the command is xfce-setting-show. You'll
need to use this if you want to change things like themes as Gnome
theme manager will no longer handle them. I recommend you enter the
XFCE Setting Manger -> Workspace and Margins and set the bottom margin
to 0px and make sure the rest are 0px too.

Chris