[Wolves] Make Gnome Fast! [Was: What makes Gnome/KDE slow?]

Deusiah deusiah at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:35:56 BST 2005

Hmm why can't you just try it and see for yourself? lol.

I'm not just talking about improved boot times here, it's everything.
Nautilus is faster, Gnome-terminal loads quicker so does Firefox and
windows are smoother to drag around.

What Sparkes said may be true for start up but it doesn't explain how
the three PC's I have tried it on remain fast throughout use.

I'm afraid I don't leave any of my PC's on overnight, they all sound
like WW2 planes taking off and I wouldn't be able to sleep. I guess
leaving my laptop on downstairs over night may be possible but that
things quite old and gets very hot. I'm not sure I'd trust it. Of
course that's not stop any of you from trying it right? :P

I will switch my laptop and desktop machine on in the morning, test
the load times of various slow programs and then do it later on. I
really don't think there will be any difference though :P

No need for the apologies Kevan, I'm as sceptical about this as you
are and with good reason to be, afterall how can there be a
performance boost like this without something having been disabled?

Just out of curiosity is there a way of timing how long it takes a
program to load other than using a stop watch? Would be nicer to get
some more accurate results.

Chris