[Wolves] Newbie in The Jargon File; was: (no subject)

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Fri May 20 21:02:31 BST 2005

Deusiah wrote:

>OK I totally give up, I'll just settle for the title of newbie for the
>rest of my life as we are apparently all newbies anyway and I have no
>way of changing this. What's the point in having a newbie status if
>everyone is a newbie?

I referred to The Jargon File for clarification.
I was surprised at how negatively the term is described. I've always
thought of it as a fairly affectionate, gently teasing term.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newbie.html

At least you aren't a Clueless Newbie because you gave me a clue the
other day when I didn't have one.

Would you rather skip to this page?
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/L/larval-stage.html

I'm with Sparkes on this. Titles don't matter and the more you know, the
more you know what you don't know.
(I hope someone else said that first. I don't want to be held responsible)

Sparkes and I are both bearded and jobless. I wouldn't listen to either
of us.

Woo