[Wolves] was (no subject) I need help

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon May 23 12:28:27 BST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 11:10, chris procter wrote:

> If at first you dont succeed google.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Troubleshooting
>
> Error numbers:
> 17 : Cannot mount selected partition: This error is
> returned if the partition requested exists, but the
> filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
> 18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by
> BIOS: This error is returned when a read is attempted
> at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS
> translated area. This generally happens if your disk
> is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE
> disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in
> general).

Contrary to what that horrid Sparkes says I'm not lazy really, I could have
looked on Mr Google but when I'm at home I'm on dial-up so I don't like being
on the net too long (Tight Bastard).

> This might explain a lot of the io errors you've been
> having, if the system can't see the whole disk it may
> see a partial filesystem which it would think is
> corrupt. If so then running fsck on the disk should
> report the filesystem as being larger then the disk.

Its a 40GB disk that as far as I know is working fine, Windows sees it as a
40GB disk OK.

> Have you put a large disk in an old machine or fiddled
> with the bios settings so it wouldn't deal with large
> disks or anything like that. If the repair disk
> doesn't work and you're happy its configured properly
> then a bios problem is the next option.

The CPU, Motherboard, Memory is about two months old, all brand new:
P4 3Ghz, Gigabyte Motherboard 1GB DDR Memory
/dev/hda 40GB (Windows XP FAT32)
/dev/hdc 40GB (Suse)
/dev/hdd 40GB (Windows Slave FAT32)
/Media/USB 200GB (Windows FAT32)
/Media/DVD/CDRW Combo
/Media/7in1 Cardreader
/Media/Floppy Drive

I will admit that under Partition Magic the four triangle pointers (I think
they mark the boundaries) are in a different place to all the other drives
but they always have been and this problem has not occurred before.

The consensus in work is that the Motherboard might be faulty but I was
racking my brains this morning and the clouds possibly parted.

All these problems started after upgrading my VMware (Windows /dev/hda) to
version 5 now its probably nothing whatsoever to do with it but it seems
strange that thats when the trouble started.

> The bios loads grub stage 1.5, stage 1.5 understands
> enough about the filesystem (reiserfs?) to find
> stage2, stage 2 loads the operating system.

I guessed as much didn't get that before all though seeing as it worked before
I wouldn't have seen that anyway.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.