[Wolves] Bored? Try LTSP

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue May 24 21:57:38 BST 2005

trog wrote:

>On Monday 23 May 2005 21:05, Andy Wootton wrote:
>

>>For all those people who have said they are bored with how simple their
>>current distro has become, I commend to you the Linux Terminal Server
>>Project.
>>

>Yes siree!  We use it at Handsworth Grammar School
>

>>I recommend Ubuntu for the server
>>

>I wouldn't.  IMO you're much better off with the K12LTSP distro
>(http://k12linux.org/) which is built on FC3.  You just download the iso's
>and away you go.  Otherwise you have to download and install LTSP yourself.

Exactly. Far too simple! It is time-consuming complexity that we crave
here ... oh, and I only had Ubuntu on my laptop.

>>You only need an old, slow box for each client (i.e. child/spouse/aged
>>parent) but you'll 'need' one kick-ass server for the good of all. Enjoy.
>>

>Our servers are ... not exactly powerhouses.

Shhh! That's an excuse.

I got it running today. 192 MB isn't enough for a  server running two
Gnome sessions, apparently.

I wasted most of yesterday because I couldn't work out why my client
wouldn't boot when it had a couple of days before. I finally realised
that I'd rewritten the floppy using the NT version of Rawrite rather
than rawritewin that I used at home. I trusted Windows to do one bloody
thing... No error messages - just a boot disk that doesn't.

Woo