[Wolves] Yahoo! upgrade

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu May 26 23:09:07 BST 2005

Peter Oliver wrote:

> People think maths is all about "sums", because that's what they did
> in maths lessons at school, and that more advanced maths must be about
> harder sums.

In my first job I worked with a guy who read maths at Cambridge. He said
that mathematics is an arbitrarily defined set of rules applied to a set
of abstract symbols.
This leads to the conclusion that any apparent relationship between
mathematics and the real world is only a belief system.

Experimental data proves nothing because it is statistically
insignificant  in an infinite universe. We might just live in a lucky bit.

I find this strangely reasuring, though I always have to stop thinking
about using stats to prove that maths doesn't mean anything before my
brain explodes.

Woo