[Wolves] Its Back

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:35:35 BST 2005

On 27/05/05, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> Its the same modem I've had for 4 years it works fine, I used it last night
> under Suse XP likes it but it doesn't like the driver for some reason in
> device manager everything is OK but if try to use it XP gives me a blue
> screen of death and a reboot. :-(

It's not one of those Intel modems is it?  I've got a 536EP (Ithink
that's what it is).  Supposedly a hardware modem but I think it
stretches it a bit as I have the feeling that it tends to farm out
some processing to the mobo CPU.  Anyway, I updated the driver on it
not long ago.  From that point on I could not get a decent speed with
it.  It was actually slower than my old 33k modem and this is
supposedly a 56k.  So I ended up digging out an old revision of the
driver and that works...most of the time.  It turns out that a lot of
people have had the exact same problem.  It may not be this sort of
ting with yours but it could be worthwhile Googling to see.

> > it's not too long only about 20 feet) and nothing.  I have so far
> > replaced the whole length of cable and tried sockets on both ends.  I
> > can only think that is my cable making skills that are at fault.
>
> Yep its your crimping skills, sorry ;-)

Oh I don't doubt it.  Except I also think the plugs are pretty crap.
Sometimes you win on eBay others you lose :-)  What I really want are
some RJ45's that allow you to have the copper wire extending out of
the plug (so they can be trimmed off after of course).  At least that
way I'd know that the copper has extended all the way to the
connectors.  Or can you get reusable plugs?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street