[Wolves] Ubuntu Warty to Hoary killed my X

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 30 11:23:23 BST 2005

I've been running Hoary (fresh install just before release) for quite a
while and I'm very happy with it. Last night I decided to start looking
at upgrading my main Linux box. I've never done this before but
understoof that I just needed to change my repos from Warty to Hoary
then run an update. I decided to do an update of Warty first and there
was a longer list than I expected so I decided to do a few at a time
becuase I didn't want to stay up all night.

I had upgraded apt-get. At some stage I realised that I was seeing both
Warty and Hoary repos being listed though I hadn't changed anything yet.
That didn't sound good so I rebooted to see what damage had been done.

I decided to take the plunge, modified the config and ran apt-get
update, apt-get upgrade and went to bed. No X! I'm slightly worried that
apt-get says that x-window-system-core has been "kept back". I don't
know why.
/etc/init.d/gdm restart does nothing. Startx gives the grey background
and mouse cursor.

I guess the move from XF86 to X.Org has failed so I'm about to start
reading but if anyone can suggest a quick and easy fix, I'm not too
proud to hear it. Suddenly everyone here wants to use the Linux box.

Cheers,
Woo