Re: [Wolves] Linux for idiots Was: Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 20 08:16:53 BST 2005

Hi all
I am in the middle of an experiment to see if Linux is "suitable for idiots",
 and I attach a .PDF of some preliminary results. The reason it's in PDF
format is I'm having a little instability problem with O.O.O, not too sure
if I've pushed the boat out to far on version, either that or the KDE3.4
on SUSE 9.2 I'm using needs some tweaking.
Anyway to update the PDF I have since found out that the PClinuxOS CD I downloaded
works perfectly well on another machine, but the Mepis will not even install
in live mode on the other machine. Debian also works fine if instead of trying
to load on top of the base system from my downloaded DVDs I choose to add
new packages using FTP.
Kevan might have given me a solution to the problems with Fedora and Mandrake
10 series (the 9 series performed better strangely enough).
The preliminary conclusion I'm coming to is that rather than extol the virtues
of one Distro or flavour of Linux, which we usually do by giving an interested
party just one distro, we ought to maybe give them 2 or 3 to play with. That
way someone trying Linux out for a first time stands more chance of getting
a good experience from one of the Distro's.
If the only Distro I'd tried had been PCLinuxOS for example on my test machine
I would incorrectly have concluded I had a bad disc/ that Linux didn't work.
On a more positive note every Linux Distro beats WindowsXP for usability
from straight install, but we all knew that anyway.

Mad Malc

Book yourself something to look forward to in 2005.
Cheap flights - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/flights/
Bargain holidays - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/holidays/