[Wolves] Software management on networks

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Wed Nov 16 10:50:03 GMT 2005

SimonB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right I've only just managed to listen to the latest and greatest
> edition of LugRadio. Anyway I just thought I'd mention with regards
> to Software Management for client computers on a network, whatever
> happened to red carpet? And im pretty certain that ZENworks does this
> though I haven't looked into whether its open or not, I don’t think
> it is however.
>
> Otherwise a shell script (not necessarily a bash script people),
> would be fairly easy. I might try and botch one up using csh.

I'm not claiming to know all issues that ZENworks addresses, however
from a software distribution aspect, you just need a number of Debian
repositories; customised /etc/apt/sources.list on individual PCs (this
assumes PCs can be grouped together in classes) and the ability to login
remotely via ssh in an automated manner.

thanks
David.

--
David Goodwin