[Wolves] Software management on networks

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Wed Nov 16 16:10:19 GMT 2005

Stuart Langridge wrote:
>>Yes... we (Clockwork) discovered this all a couple of years ago with one
>>particular $customer.....
>>
>>Regardless of the above discussion, the deployment of software across
>>large networks isn't easy
>

> I completely agree, and I'm aware you know this. It's just that an
> awful lot of people seemed to say "ah, that discussion you had on
> LugRadio, that could just be solved with a trivial shell script" and I
> don't think it can :)

Well.. hmm.. were all machines and users being equal, then it probably
could.

There are numerous other methods of distributing an O/S around a network
(e.g. RedHat's Stateless thing
http://people.redhat.com/dmalcolm/stateless/stateless-linux-HOWTO-en/ )
which we've not tried (bandwidth requirements?)

David.

--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.co.uk