[Wolves] Samba in an Active Directories environment

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:13:53 GMT 2005

On 18/11/05, Ian Harper <idharper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/11/05, Simon Morris <simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Dan. Good to hear you are not dead!!!  :)
> >
> > No, I was thinking on the tube home. I make it 5 files to edit
> > ('/etc/nsswitch.conf', '/etc/samba/smb.conf', '/etc/pam.d/common-*') and
> >  one command ('/usr/bin/net').
> >
> > > There is a brilliant book out about this; Samba-3 By Example by Bruce
> > > Perens, published by Prentice-Hall International which should tell you
> > > all you need to know.
> > >

> I'll have a look for the book, am I correct in thinking (from what I
> have read so far) that I need Kerberos on the linux servers ?

Hi Ian,

I wrote a howto last night here (I actually had to build a new SUSE 10
server on a AD network yesterday anyway so it was a happy coincidence)

http://www.beerandspeech.org/index.php?/archives/63-Binding-Linux-to-Active-Directory.html

You need kerberos libraries and whichever package provides
/etc/krb5.conf but you don't need any KDC components.

Good luck!

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com