[Wolves] bad errors on dvd is it seroius

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 02:02:35 GMT 2005

--- Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When i tried installing fedora dvd, it prompted me
> to check the media.

Just in case you weren't sure, it always asks you to
check the media.

> I did this and on the dvd it saids
> '....errors found either due to bad download or
> corrupt file, clean the media try agian or try
> different cd....'

As Kevan said regarding the above.

> So i took the dvd out and cleaned
> the dvd with the cleaning kit.  Re-tried  and error
> message.
> Anyway i tried installing it seemded ok but it hangs
> when i log into gnome seession and takes long to
> start-up. And when i restart fedora it goes blank
> for
> a few seconds and hangs. But otherwise install looks
> ok.

Thats clearly not ok. I'm not sure this is the result
of a bad DVD. If the DVD is bad then I'm reasonably
sure the system wouldn't finish installing, you would
just get loads of errors about files being unreadable,
or errors on dev hdc, or /dev/hdc. In any case I'm
pretty sure the installer wouldn't finish if it were
so bad as to mean packages couldn't be installed.

> So how bad is errors on the dvd or what does that
mean?

It means that there wil be problems reading the data
from it, DVDs don't do much else apart from store data
so there isn't much else that can go wrong. It doesn't
get any better or worse. Again see Kevan's post for
reasons why this might be the case.

As for this being the reason your machine is failing,
well as I said I would have thought that the installer
wouldn't have finished. I can't see why an installer
would carry on if it couldn't read from the
installation media. If it did indeed ignore the fact
that it couldn't read the media and just didn't
install the packages it couldn't read from the DVD
then this would be your reason, but I would suspect
otherwise.

Reboot your machine and look for errors. When it is
booted, use the command line to check various log
files:

dmesg | grep error
grep error /var/log/messages

You can view them in the GUI, just move to /var/log/
and look at messages and dmesg. The above way is in
case you can't use your GUI. Read the man pages for
grep to understand what it is doing (it's like a text
filter).

If you can't work out whats wrong, that system is no
use to you like that so reinstall from other media,
even another distribution to compare, or boot from a
Live CD. If you have similar problems with them then
consider this a hardware problem.

Thats all from here. I think you've already started to
look elsewhere by now anyway.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk