[Wolves] Another reason why Linux struggles to become mainstream......?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 12:31:49 GMT 2005

On 27/11/05, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/11/05, Tim Childe <tim.childe.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So after a while not using linux, I decide tonight I can risk problems (I
> > only want to surf) so I'll give it a go and see what happens
> >
> >  I boot up my works PC from the Ubuntu Live CD (Hoary Hedghog) and all is
> > well.....
> >

> >  I'm now in the same position as someone trying linux for the first time
> > having been recommended to try it.
> >
> >  Everything is fine until I go to make a cup of coffee.  When I return the
> > screen saver has come on and it's locked with a password !!!!!!!
>
> Nice!!! That must be a bug - to be prompted for a password that you haven't set.
>
> A misconfiguration bug rather than a bug in the code though
>
> [snip]
>

> >  Sorry to rant as my first post for months - but it just annoyed me so much
> > !
>
> Be the one to make a difference and file a bug report then :)
>

> --

I've seen that as an option in the installed to hard drive version but
it does seem a bit daft for it to be enabled in the live CD.  I think
that passwords  (i.e characters typed) not appearing is a common theme
on some Debian systems.  It is designed as an extra security feature
in case somebody is watching you over your shoulder.  At least that
way they don't know how many characters make up you password.  The
reasoning behind options such as having 1, 2 or 3 asterisks appear for
each single character typed also.

Personally I like to see the asterisk appear because then I know I
have hit the key properly :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362