[Wolves] Too many cooks

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:27:45 BST 2005

On 02/10/05, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Stuart Langridge wrote:
>
> >>...Unfortunately, it picked a
> >>Windows 'one big tool that does everything' model, Outlook clone as a
> >>mail and news client and calendar...
> >>

> >...In their defence, though, I
> >believe that they chose Evolution as the default mail client because
> >it is the Gnome default, and much integration work with the rest of
> >Gnome has gone on.
> >
> >Aq.
> >

> If they'd picked a few small tools with defined interfaces then it
> wouldn't have needed "much integration work". I stand corrected though.
> Gnome got it wrong, not Ubuntu.
>
> Woo

The KDE model of Ubuntu (Kubuntu) goes down the same road.  They have
an integrated mailer, contact, address book, calendar, hoover, kitchen
sink big box of dusters and the rubber gloves :-)  Perhaps it is done
to tempt Windows users towards Ubuntu/Kubuntu?  Give them what they
are used to instead of a mish mash of different programs (however good
they may be and I don't dispute that they are).  After all, Mr
Shuttleworth has already stated that he is pitting himself (or Ubuntu)
against Microsoft Windows in the next version so why not the same
philosophy now?  Good on him I say :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street