[Wolves] Too many cooks

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:18:15 BST 2005

On 03/10/05, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've used this analogy before here: if you feel the need to convert
> someone to use Linux, look at their stereo. If you find an all in one
> music centre with crappy sound then give up. If you see a seperates
> system with components from several different manufacturers and a rats
> nest of cable at the back then you've found a potential Linux user. To
> use any Unix system you have to value quality of result above ease of
> integration. Most people don't.
>
> Woo

Ha, ha, ha, how did you know?  :-)  I started out with an all in one
stereo music centre.  That was when I was 16 - first job and I had to
have something decent to play Rush 2112 on.  A couple of years later I
got an all separates Pioneer system.  I haven't looked back.... I
still have all separates but now a mish mash of different makes from a
Technics tape deck (rarely used now) to a Yamaha tuner... can't
remember the rest but not super top quality highly expensive, probably
mid range for when I got it.

Anyway, I don't need convincing I had merely taken on the role of
devil's advocate.  I personally agree with a lot of what you have said
but it's not me that needs convincing.  Everything I have stated is
what has been told to me.  I've told loads of people, including those
who are in the position to bring about change and save money for
companies, the advantages of Linux.  All you get is the umm, ahhh, yes
but...blah, blah, blah.  You can practically see the words going into
one ear and streaming out the other.  I stand by what I said.  To add
to it I would say that the best way of getting Linux adopted in a
bigger way is to start at the workplace.  Get something like Linspire
(tweaked so that you can't automatically log in as root of course) on
peoples PC's.  That way they don't know it isn't what they are used to
because Linspire is so much - cosmetically speaking - like MS Windows
XP.  Tell them after a few weeks :-)  Then whisper in their ears, "
why do you pay for MS Windows and all its upgrades at such a
ridiculous and extortionate price?"

Unfortunately, people are the same the world over, they do not like
change.  Even though that change may save them a massive wad of cash.
Look at the amount of people in this country who still stick with the
same power companies despite the consumer watchdogs telling them about
how much they would save by swapping supplier.  You've already
mentioned FUD, Andy, that's what happens.  Not just with computer
operating systems.  It's everything.
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street