[Wolves] Re: Too many cooks

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 18:32:33 BST 2005

Not sure if I'm just sticking my nose in uninvited but....
If you compare choosing operating systems to buying a car, first you want the car to get you from A to B, you want it to look nice, be reasonably fast and economical.  Some people are happy to leave it at that and that's ok.
Some people then say to themselves I wonder whats under the bonnet, I wonder if I can make it go faster, be more economical, put some big Phat tyres on it, make the bodywork super duper.  That's you lot that is.
 But, you started out wanting the nice car that gets you from A to B. so it's like the difference between a Driver and a mechanic.
If the Car is nice more people will want to drive it, They can always tinker later, if they get any problems they can always ask a mechanic.  Like cars, there are many linux distributions to choose from, but thankfully all the parts under the bonnet are similar.
But you gotta buy your car first, and you don't want it to be a dog.
Most distro's I have tried have turned out to be pretty useable, but if someone wants to nail it down so you don't have to pull the bonnet every so often but just drive, then
Way hay, let the man in the smartcar overtake whilst you tinker with the carbs on your Triumph Dolomite.
Mart.