[Wolves] Re: RE: Tumbleweeds.

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 20:00:38 BST 2005

On 05/10/05, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 14:15, Helen Randle wrote:
>
> > It would be if they hadn't nicked the idea from Doctor Who!
>
> Seeing as I'm an old fart and can remember some really old episodes who was it
> then the Cybermen? You've got me stumped.

Got it in one Peter.

Erm, another little thing of mine....I love Doctor Who :-)))

Not heard of 'The Knights of Gallifrey'?  My Yahoo Group :-)))

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

Oh dear, I seem to have kidnapped the thread and sent it off on a tangental trajectory into an alternative universe.
 However........  The Cybermen were not a collective intelligence but a hierarchical /fascisist structure similar to the daleks, a closer similarity might be the auton intelligence as described in the earlier Jon Pertwee episodes or even the yeti adventures of the troughton era.
most of these ideas being a spin/rip off of Nigel Kneales excellent Quatermasse stories, collective conciousness/ race memory leading to mass hysteria and race riots, as in 'quatermasse and the pit'.
Of course, The collective conciousness of the Borg was a metaphor for Communism, The struggle of the individual vs the group ethic, but Hollywood couldn't cope with this concept, needing a protagonist/ antagonist scenario to draw in the hoi poloi, and so the Borg queen was born and Hive conciousness, which is again hierarchical, ruining a perfectly good and frightening idea.
collective conciousness, has it's ECHO's (see we are getting back to the original thread, eventually) in the concept and structure of the internet. in the event of a nuclear attack,Individual nodes can be blown away without damaging the overall structure so resistance is irrelavant, tell uncle bill right now .......
I'll get me coat.