[Wolves] Re: RE: Tumbleweeds.

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 00:44:04 BST 2005

On 06/10/05, Helen Randle <helen.randle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was always under the impression that the Borg were a combination of the
> collective intelligence idea of the Nestines and the assimilation of the
> Cybermen. However I haven't really ever watched any of the newer Star Treks,
> so I could be wrong.
>

>  Helen

IMHO the latest and possibly the last one, Enterprise, is the best of
the lot.  I liked Voyager but not the Next Gen' or Deep Space Nine.

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

Yeah, but, ooerh missus,
The original idea of the cybermen comes from about 1967. the prominent topic of discussion, of the day, was the transplant work of Christian Barnard a pioneer of heart transplant surgery.  The idea of the Cybermen being a race of people from the planet Mondas, so completely dependant on body part replacement that they had become emotionless and lost their humanity (strangely appropriate considering).  After the Doctor (Who, not Barnard) had wiped out their planet, they attempted to assimilate others, mainly humans to increase their numbers.  So physical assimilation is involved ( sorry I know we are talking about a work of fiction here) but the impression is not one of collective consciousness. if you amalgamate the characteristics of the cybermen and the Nestine intelligence then, yes, you do come close to an analogy, methinks. Cybermen= bark orders to each other, Borg= instant telepathy, and a horrified helpless inner being, watching their body act involuntarily committing countless acts of assimilation and conquest, a complete subjugation of the ID to the will of the collective, ( Shudder).
 On the other hand the pension plan is good and you get a lot of time off in an alcove which you can decorate how you want. ( WHAT?)
On that other thing, Oh Kevan you are Kidding about Enterprise, aren't you. It was really disappointing.
I was expecting something pioneering and adventurous maybe like "the Right stuff"  but they kept slipping into slick consoles that were better than Kirk had and they just couldn't resist using the transporter, even though it was a potential death trap. A quite emotional Vulcan, and a captain who never quite measured up to his Quantum leap days. Gerry Anderson would have done a better job of animating the action.
OH, and THAT S*** THEME TUNE.
Battlestar Gallactica is the one to watch, i would say, can't wait for the second series, out in Jan i think. And of Course, Can't wait for the new DR (YA)WHO.
( "Shurrup now martin, you're wearing out the internet" aah the voices).
Mart.
I playing with mepis at mo, I do like it, I do.