[Wolves] Re: RE: Tumbleweeds.

Richard Barker rtbarker2004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:20:45 BST 2005

On 07/10/05, Kelly, Martin <Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 06/10/05, Helen Randle <helen.randle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I was always under the impression that the Borg were a combination of the
>  > collective intelligence idea of the Nestines and the assimilation of the
>  > Cybermen. However I haven't really ever watched any of the newer Star
> Treks,
>  > so I could be wrong.
>  >
>  >
>  >  Helen
>  >

>  IMHO the latest and possibly the last one, Enterprise, is the best of
>  the lot.  I liked Voyager but not the Next Gen' or Deep Space Nine.
>
>  --
>  ==============================================
>  I am only human, please forgive me if I make a mistake it is not
> deliberate.
>  ==============================================
>  Take care.
>  Kevan Farmer
>
>  Yeah, but, ooerh missus,
>  The original idea of the cybermen comes from about 1967. the prominent
> topic of discussion, of the day, was the transplant work of Christian
> Barnard a pioneer of heart transplant surgery.  The idea of the Cybermen
> being a race of people from the planet Mondas, so completely dependant on
> body part replacement that they had become emotionless and lost their
> humanity (strangely appropriate considering).  After the Doctor (Who, not
> Barnard) had wiped out their planet, they attempted to assimilate others,
> mainly humans to increase their numbers.  So physical assimilation is
> involved ( sorry I know we are talking about a work of fiction here) but the
> impression is not one of collective consciousness. if you amalgamate the
> characteristics of the cybermen and the Nestine intelligence then, yes, you
> do come close to an analogy, methinks. Cybermen= bark orders to each other,
> Borg= instant telepathy, and a horrified helpless inner being, watching
> their body act involuntarily committing countless acts of assimilation and
> conquest, a complete subjugation of the ID to the will of the collective, (
> Shudder).
>   On the other hand the pension plan is good and you get a lot of time off
> in an alcove which you can decorate how you want. ( WHAT?)
>  On that other thing, Oh Kevan you are Kidding about Enterprise, aren't you.
> It was really disappointing.
>  I was expecting something pioneering and adventurous maybe like "the Right
> stuff"  but they kept slipping into slick consoles that were better than
> Kirk had and they just couldn't resist using the transporter, even though it
> was a potential death trap. A quite emotional Vulcan, and a captain who
> never quite measured up to his Quantum leap days. Gerry Anderson would have
> done a better job of animating the action.
>  OH, and THAT S*** THEME TUNE.
>  Battlestar Gallactica is the one to watch, i would say, can't wait for the
> [...]

<delurk>
If you don't want to wait for BSG series 2 why not use Bittorrent?
Check out www.tvtorrents.com, it covers most things on cable TV and
www.UKNova.com gets you stuff that's been shown on terrestrial.

The second series of BSG is a big one at 20 episodes long, they've
split it into two halves, the second half starts in the states, also
in January.  I've heard it's a 5 series story arc like B5.  I'll only
say that the first half is really good, I won't spoil it for you.

But a word of warning, if the kids watch it with you, a couple of the
episodes might be a bit strong for them.  Some of the content is the
stongest stuff I've ever seen in TV Sci-Fi.  They're episdoes 5 and
10.  Especially 10.

I'm really looking forward to Dr Who series 2 as well, is it right
that the Cybermen are popping up at some point?
</delurk>

takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage to move in the
opposite direction." - Albert Einstein.
--
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much." - John Wayne