[Wolves] finding my roots

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 21:20:08 BST 2005

On 09/10/05, baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 19:42 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> > > When I amend some of the settings I get asked for an admin-user
> > > password, which works fine with my login password - is this the same
> > > as root in Ubuntu? Am I already at the right level? Surely if I was
> > > logged in as root from the get-go I wouldn't have to keep re-typing a
> > > password?
> >
> > Ubuntu is set up to not use a root account. Instead, your normal user
> > has permission to do "root" things, but it requires you to enter your
> > password first. This is done for security reasons, and it's advisable
> > to maintain it that way. You can run a "root level" command from the
> > command line as your normal user by using "sudo <command>". I'd advise
> > you to *not* use the suggestions about setting a password for the root
> > account with "sudo passwd root" as suggested above, but it's up to
> > you.
> >
> > Aq.
>
> I agree with Aq, I just gave the info on how to set a root user password
> for if you -really- have to have one.
>
> Baza

Ok, this will no doubt be frowned upon by the wise ones :-))))  If you
check on the Ubuntu user forums (use the search tool) it is documented
just how and where 'root' is disabled.  It can be easily re-instated
and indeed be set up as an option to log in as.  I was trying to do
something a few weeks ago that no matter how I tried sudo could not do
it.  I then ended up enabling 'root', logging in as such and
accomplishing the task.  I like to have the choice of loggin in as
root if I wish as aware as I am of the inherent dangers of doing so
:-)
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street