[Wolves] laptop suitable for SuSE Linux

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:42:09 BST 2005

On 11/10/05, Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> --- Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > To form a simile  - Sony laptops are like the hot
> > girl at a
> > nightclub... IBM Thinkpads are ugly and sturdy but
> > they won't give you
> > any nasty surprises :)
> >

> I don't like nasty surprises!!! :-) the TPs do seem to
> be well reviewed.

Sorry - I neglected to tell you that the Thinkpads are well supported
with Linux.

My T42 handles the following with no tweaking whatsoever with Breezy

* Dual screen and Xinerama (had to get a xorg.conf from Google for it)
* Wireless and wired ethernet
* Sound
* The volume buttons above the keyboard
* and with Breezy - Suspend and Hibernate. w00t!

My only slight quibble is the limitation of 1024x768. I have a
uber-old Thinkpad I ran BSD on for a while that had a bigger
resolution.

The screens are the cheap bit of the package. Good quality - low
resolution. Oh also IBM don't make them anymore. They sold the
business to Lenovo. So far I haven't noticed any problems since the
sell with the QA

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com