[Wolves] is the lug dead?

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Wed Oct 12 09:49:49 BST 2005

> > I have a bit of code which puts a "talk to someone" box on your
> > website. It allows as many people as need to to use it,
> > simultaneously. What it actually does is lets them talk to you over
> > IRC, under the covers; you simply log into a specific IRC server and
> > wait for messages, and the system gateways their entries into the web
> > form to you on IRC, and then gateways your IRC replies back to the web
> > form. You can use Gaim to log into the IRC channel, or any IRC client
> > of your choice. The code's not been hugely tested thus far, but i'm
> > happy to release if you want to play with it.
>
> Thats hugely kind of you. Of course you realise I'd use it for commercial
> purposes?

It'll be released under an open-source licence. That in no way stops
you using it commercially, that being the point of open source and
all. :-)

> I am a complete dumbo when it comes to IRC stuff (Thats not fishing for
> sympathy by the way) I have used Kopete but forget my login and stuff I
> remember it was a pain in the a... to sign up and get an account, should have
> written everything down, plus I'm not a fast typer so while I'm doing a
> response the other person is on their second question/statement.
>
> Having said all the above paragraph what I'm hoping to do is
>
> 1. set up a help desk/fault call system that gives them a ticket or they can
> track the ticket. Our customers can either phone in or go to the website and
> log a problem. If they are registered to the site they can then get in a
> protected area where they can track the fault call.
>
> All of this is old hat and I'm sure I saw a module for it.

You're on your own with a ticket system. I'm sure there are some;
personally, I think that Trac is good, but then that's standalone and
not part of Joomla.

> A. Which one is the one I want?
> B. Will they work with Joomla

My code works with any website at all; you just need the ability to:
1. run a CGI on your server
2. put a (small) amount of arbitrary HTML on a page on your website

If you can do both of those you can do it.

Aq.