[Wolves] Dell

Simon B simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 09:18:29 BST 2005

Hi all,

Recently on Slashdot and the Register there has been a bit of talk about Dell's 'n series' products. Where the don’t install an OS but chuck a copy of freeDOS on CD in the box.

Fair enough, but I've noticed that I'm unable to find anything for the n series on the Dell site. There are a couple of workstations and servers that have the option of having Dead Rat (Red Hat) as the OS, but no Desktops nor Laptops.

With a while of talking with my Dell account manager, I eventually found that the entirety of the Latitude range of laptops are available on as 'n series', Which is not mentioned on site in the slightest (I have looked for an hr to no avail). Also unsurprisingly it costs more to have no OS installed and the FreeDOS disc than to have a copy of Windows on it.

Is Dell really this tied into Microsoft?  Also is Dell are so Pro Linux which I think there are some adverts about for it, plus there is some involvement with Dead Rat then why are they making it so difficult for people to buy machines with Linux on them.

Just for the record I personally am buying a 'n series' Latitude (which on my quote is £50 more expensive than with windows) Just to kind of add to the demand of this range.

Cheers,
SimonB