[Wolves] Dell

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Oct 13 10:23:05 BST 2005

> With a while of talking with my Dell account manager, I eventually
> found that the entirety of the Latitude range of laptops are
> available on as 'n series', Which is not mentioned on site in the
> slightest (I have looked for an hr to no avail). Also unsurprisingly
> it costs more to have no OS installed and the FreeDOS disc than to
> have a copy of Windows on it.

I believe their argument is that it's a case of mass production. They're
clearly setup to install Microsoft Windows on all laptops / pcs they
produce, and to do anything else is costly.

There is also the argument that if the 'n' series was cheaper, every
tom-dick-and-harry would buy them, and install a pirated version of
windows on them. (After all most people don't care about software piracy).

> Is Dell really this tied into Microsoft?

I don't suppose they are. The market has so far always requested
Microsoft, so Dell has just supplied what people ask for.

Unfortunately to the average punter in the street, a PC runs MS Windows;
if it doesn't it's probably a Mac (and they're no good because there's a
high chance your existing software won't run on it, and you won't be
able to easily find software to run on it....)

David.
--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.co.uk