[Wolves] Scumbags Hack Xoops site

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 10:34:30 BST 2005

Just to chuck my two p's worth into the ring :-)   I'd say that any
off the shelf application is fine for learning and studying purposes.
Obviously I mean something that is configurable like a web page as
mentioned I'm not talking about a program as such.  I don't agree with
Peter that desingers are a dying breed.  By that I mean real designers
not, as mentioned, off the shelf web page designers.  It's easy to get
a pckage, use a template and hey presto!  One shiny new website.  But
it isn't is it?  Because there are probably a million others who have
used exactly the same template.  The skill comes in starting with the
template to save time but then using the time saved to really jazz up
the page(s).  This is what sorts the men from the boys.  The same goes
for presentations.  When I was working at the uni I saw thousands of
students using the smae Powerpoint slides for there presentation.  A
classic was in a business studies course involving some Australian
wine exporters.  Nearly every student used the self same slides.
Maybe in a different colour maybe not.  I felt sorry for the poor
lecturer (well almost) who had to view practically the smae thing over
and over again.  Now, transfer this to a customer shopping online.
Give them something different, something properly tailored to your
needs otherwise that customer may well get bored with seeing the same
thing over and over again.  I've actually had this with fishing tackle
shops.  I don't even bother to properly peruse the site because I'm
bored with seeing the same old same old....  This is where the true
designer can really score.  Besides which, who is going to dream up a
new template?

:-)
Take care.
Kevan Farmer