[Wolves] yes nfs working toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Tue Oct 25 07:50:36 BST 2005

> NFS is one of those things that can be a pain to setup but sometimes
> it's as easy as editing the export file and started the server and it
> just works.
>
> Don't ever expect it to work well ;-) and you'll be happy.

I totally agree; if you want something that's reliable and secure use
CIFS (Samba). You'll find NFS breaking at random times; especially if
you upgrade a kernel.

Recently (in the last year) my NFS experiences are :

- It wouldn't allow me to write to a file (but I could create a file
  (i.e. touch foo)). Trying to write to a file resulted in a zero length
file. (Guess how long it took me to realise I'd lost data. :-().

- Lousey performance with the client hanging while waiting for the
  server (moral: don't mix 2.4 adn 2.6 kernels NFS wise, especially if
the 2.4 box is quite old (RedHat9)). This was partially fixed by
upgrading from the RedHat kernel to 2.4.31.

- If you really insist on mixing 2.4 and 2.6 kernels you'll certainly
  need to set the rsize adn wsize parameters on the client to relatively
small values (<4096).

- Don't run a database or similar from an NFS mounted filesystem,
  locking sucks. For normal use though, you'll not notice any
difference.

David.
--
David Goodwin