[Wolves] Ubuntu and KDE

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 00:20:56 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On 26/10/05, Ade <adrian.bradshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 10/25/05, Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have ubuntu and created an experimental account for
>>>kde or kubuntu.  Did this using;
>>>'System->Administration->Users and Groups'
>>>However i assumed when i downloaded kde its apps will
>>>stay in that account.  When i go back to my main
>>>Ubuntu/gnome acoount there are KDE apps from the other
>>>account.  This makes my main ubuntu/gnome account look
>>>bloated, which is against gnome way.
>>>
>>>So how do i keep the 2 accounts totally seperate and
>>>make sure when i install kde apps in my kde account
>>>they stay there and don't cross over to my main
>>>ubuntu/gnome account?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>Bobby
>>>

>>Auto package seeks to solve this issue, in that it asks if you want to
>>install to the user or the machine - only problem is that no-one is
>>really behind it yet and they really need to be.
>>
>>The thing that you are asking for is not at all unreasonable - (the
>>ability to decide to install globally or just to one user)
>>
>>All hail autopackge I say,
>>
>>Ade
>>

>Am I reading this correct?  What Bobby is asking is how to install to
>a users account as in that users' /home' account and installed by that
>user instead of being installed by root and thus, being accessible to
>'all' users.  If this is the case I have to ask why?  The same amount
>of disk space is taken up after all.  The only reason I could see for
>this happening would be if root refused to install (assuming a
>different owner or root user).
>
>Or have I misread it?  :-)

I think Bobby just wants to choose whether his usernames can see all the
applications on the menus. This used to be possible on Ubuntu using the
menu editor,  before it was removed in response to a security scare. You
could either add an item to your own menu or if you had access then to
the global menu.

Woo