[Wolves] Ubuntu and MP3 support

Bobby Singh bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 00:00:19 BST 2005

Hello,

You need to download varies multimedia codecs through
apt-get or synaptic.  Taken from
http://ubuntuguide.org  this is more than what you
need but it will save you hassle in the future;

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-lame
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg
* sudo apt-get install w32codecs
* sudo apt-get install libdivx4linux
sudo apt-get install lame
sudo apt-get install sox
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
sudo apt-get install mjpegtools
sudo apt-get install vorbis-tools
gst-register-0.8

* With the new ubuntu 5.10 these 2 has problems, so
using http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats it can
be solved, is this right for everyone else?

BUT; for the first time linux user i would recommond
Fedora or maybe Mandrake.  Ubuntu is not fully 'out of
box' you have to download everything and configure
stuff.  For the newbie this could be tedious and may
not know what to download.  (yes ok for intermediate
users this may be an advantage). The new ubuntu should
consider having all stuff ready for home user desktop
use like other distros.  Afterwards the newbie then
should go to ubuntu and be impressed.

Cheers

Bobby