[Wolves] Ubuntu and MP3 support

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:34:29 BST 2005

On 28/10/05, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bearing in mind that I'm not a new user any more and
> so my point of view might not be from the right angle,
> I do think Ubuntu is mostly configured out of the box,
> it's only really codecs that you have to get yourself.
> You certainly don't have to configure anything
> yourself. As far as I am aware, you only get MP3
> support out of the box these days if you're paying for
> a boxed set as there is supposed to be a license fee
> for the use of the codec. With Windows software, the
> software company has normally paid for the licence (in
> many cases thats Microsoft for various codecs used by
> media Player and zip file support), with Linux box
> sets you are paying for the packaging, manual and
> license fees on any non-free software. I remember the
> dismay when Red Hat pulled MP3 support from the
> default installation.
>
> This is normally the case unless the distro has thrown
> caution to the wind. The idea to get around this
> problem is to provide support for proprietary formats
> that is easily get-able but not ship it with the
> distribution, thereby indemnifying the distributor
> against any claims of shipping software which is
> supposed to be paid for, as the user has to actually
> go and get it themselves.
>
> It's a shitty state really as you actually have to
> know why it doesn't work and then find out what to do
> about it and many new Linux users won't do that. It's
> part of a learning process that many ex-Windows users
> don't realise they need to undertake. People get used
> to paying to be spoon-fed, they don't realise that
> with a bit of will power and a bit of google all
> problems are solvable. In the same way however, I
> would ratehr pay someone to fix my car than have to
> work out how to fix it myself.
>
> > For the newbie this could be tedious and may
> > not know what to download.  (yes ok for intermediate
> > users this may be an advantage). The new ubuntu
> > should
> > consider having all stuff ready for home user
> > desktop
> > use like other distros.

May I add to this excellent piece... that, SuSE are NOT good at
supporting 'grey' area formats such as mp3 and even commercial video
playback - though this is not the subject of the original post.  Yet,
you have to pay for the boxed version of SuSE!!!!  Great distro but I
feel that you can get as good with a 'free' downloaded version of
Linux.

Just something to be aware of.  Oh, I use SuSE (9.3 & 10) myself :-)
together with Kubuntu and Vector Linux.
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street