[Wolves] Semantic web viability

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Thu Sep 1 18:03:29 BST 2005

>  Aq, perhaps you could elaborate then? My understanding of the term
> "semantic web" as it is commonly used has always been the use of correctly
> structured XHTML or XML (usually XHTML) to markup documents appropriately.
> Something I certainly don't think is too much extra work and should always
> be encouraged over "tag soup", as it were.

That's not too much extra work, and it should be encouraged over tag
soup...but that's not what the Semantic Web is.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-84A9809EC588EF21
has the detail (in story form) of what the SW is according to its
proponents, and you can both see rebuttal links and the slides from
the presentation I gave at
http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2005/09/01/semanticTalk. Questions and
comments encouraged.

Aq.