[Wolves] New Website design

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Sep 6 10:54:29 BST 2005

On 9/6/05, Jono Bacon <jonobacon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > > 1/ Can we have a link to the mailman archives?
> >
> > I think that this should go (in a prominent place) on the wiki, myself.
>
> I say link it from the main wolveslug.org.uk page. A lot of people
> need the archives.

OK: I then need suggestions from people who are more like potential
new members of the LUG than I am. At the moment, we have, at the
bottom of the page, three links: "Tutorials, Info, and Projects",
"Join the LUG!", and "About the LUG members". I'll add a fourth link
to that which links to the mail archives. Questions:

1. What should the text of that link be? I'm looking for some text
which will express to new people that it's the archives of the mailing
list. "Mailing list archives" isn't necessarily good text, because new
people don't necessarily understand what an "archive" is nor why they
might want to look at one. You've got about three words.
2. Is it useful to link directly to the archives? Would it be better,
for example, to link to a form which searches the archives? Or
directly to the most recent month? I think that use cases for looking
at the archives are:
 a. To find out what the LUG is about, if you're new, and to get a
feel for what the conversation is like.
 b. To find a post that you remember reading in your mail but have
since deleted.
 c. To search for information in case anyone has talked about a
specific topic on the list before.

(a) is best served, I think, by a link directly to the most recent
month (from which all other months are available) rather than by a
link to the archives main page.
(b) is best served by a link to the list search form, or possibly a
link to the most recent month.
(c) is best served by a link to the search form.

Comments?

Aq.