Top Posting (was Re: More stuff, was Re: [Wolves] Give Away)

David Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:32:04 BST 2005

On 08/09/05, Katherine Goodwin <kat at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >I have to point out that this way of doing things is
> >contrary to the way the rest of the world and most
> >email clients do things so you are not expected to
> >know. By default, most email clients and webmail
> >interfaces put you at the top with a new line between
> >you and the message to which you are replying.
> >

> Indeed.  I once replied to a customer who in turn replied asking me
> (basically) where the reply was.  I had to point out that maybe reading
> the whole of my reply would help.  The thing in that case was that I
> would have had to write a fair bit of text to explain the information I
> was providing if I had not replied inline.  *sigh*
>
> >Doing it the mailing list way makes it easier to read
> >for everyone when there a million different threads
> >going on with multiple posters.
> >

> Even just with two, and an ongoing conversation, it helps.
>
> <snip>
>
> I think its better now though, that people are pointing these things out
> gently rather than ranting, as we're less likely to scare people away.

In some circles though, it seems to me, your looked down on like scum
if you don't already know these things.  So Adam Pointing this problem
out so politely simply doesn't put my nose out of joint.  Consequently
I am then informed, once informed I can pass the message on.

I think it was the lo-tech guy at lug radio live who said that every
one in the Linux community has something to offer.
Newbies are Ideal guinpigs for new apps, web pages and improvements.
If a newbie can use it with ease, then anyone can theory.

Linux yearlings have enough experience to show newbies what they have learnt.

Older linux users can teach yearlings what they have learnt and so on.

So all hale the Venerable Ron and his talk at the next lug meeting.;-)

> Kat

Seek That Thy Might Know