Top Posting (was Re: More stuff, was Re: [Wolves] Give Away)

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 10:48:32 BST 2005

On 08/09/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In some circles though, it seems to me, your looked down on like scum
> if you don't already know these things.  So Adam Pointing this problem
> out so politely simply doesn't put my nose out of joint.  Consequently
> I am then informed, once informed I can pass the message on.
>
> I think it was the lo-tech guy at lug radio live who said that every
> one in the Linux community has something to offer.
> Newbies are Ideal guinpigs for new apps, web pages and improvements.
> If a newbie can use it with ease, then anyone can theory.
>
> Linux yearlings have enough experience to show newbies what they have learnt.
>
> Older linux users can teach yearlings what they have learnt and so on.

I recently had a very rare argument on the SuSE list.  A guy was using
the term newbie in a derogatory manner.  Now that is something I
absolutely hate and will really have a go about.  Everybody is new at
some point.  This particular guy was really sneering at another new
Linux user simply because he had asked a question that to him was
obviously easy and unimportant.  To the new user it was something he
didn't know and so, asked.  I have a theory that the obnoxious twerps
on various techie (not just Linux) mailing lists are friendless little
oiks who can only sneer, patronise and poke fun at newcomers because
in the real world they couldn't argue with a wet lettuce :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay