[Wolves] Broadband Advice

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:55:13 BST 2005

On 10/09/05, Helen Randle <helen.randle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finally looking into getting broadband, but could do with some help to
> find out what you would recomend.
>
>  What is best, a router or a modem? And I'll need one that works under Linux
> (obviously!)
>
>  And what providers are good? I'm not in a cable area, so that rules them
> out. And I don't want to be able to download War & Peace in 2 seconds.
>
>  Any advice gratefully received.
>
>  Thanks
>
>  Helen

I'm very happy still with Plus Net.  I have a 2mb speed with sensible
usage.  The sensible usage is no problem at all, it really is sensible
not stupid.  As for modem or router...  If you have more than one PC
that you want to use the web for then go for a router.  Otherwise a
modem would be ok as long as it is not a USB one.  There are USB
modems that work with Linux but I'd still prefer an ethernet version.
I use a D-Link 504 II modem router that I bought nearly new off eBay
for £20.  4 ethernet ports and works perfectly with any OS.

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay