[Wolves] status page on firewall

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:42:18 BST 2005

On 9/18/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just having a proper look through my firewall config, and on the
> status page I'm a bit confused there are three sets of settings, now I
> know it's probably obvious to some but I don't know what they are.
>
> 1) eth0 and eth1 I know are the physical card and there settings
> 2) lo  which I think I'm right in thinking is a loopback setting?
> 3) IPSEC0 to IPSEC4 this is the one I have no idea on.
>
> can any one help please with just confirming what I have right what
> isn't right and what the third one is.  Also what is the loopback
> thing?

David,

The loopback interfaces is there as some services and applications
require a network... even on machines without an ethernet card. So
there is a virtual loopback interface there at all times which never
goes down.

You can ping it on IP address 127.0.0.1

IPSEC0-4 are interfaces which deal with possible VPN (Virtual Private
Network) interfaces? Certainly something to do with sending packets
over the network which are encrypted to protect their privacy

Thanks

~sm